In many Latin American cultures, a girl’s 15th birthday marks her transition from childhood to young adulthood. To celebrate this pivotal rite of passage, it’s common for families to host a quinceañera—also known as a quince—which typically involves a religious ceremony in which the girl reaffirms her commitment to the church, followed by a festive party attended by several friends and family members.
Given the cultural and religious significance of a quince, these celebrations are often approached with a similar degree of reverence as a wedding—and they can be nearly as expensive as well. On average, quince parties in new york cost anywhere from $8,000 to $20,000, but can run upwards of $60,000 depending on factors such as the number of guests and the location. If you will be planning a quinces, sweet16 in the future, having an idea of the various costs involved can help you start formulating a budget. As a leading Quinceanera Site for quince parties in the New York area, Quinceaneras App has compiled the following guide to provide insight into how much it costs to plan a quinceañera, sweet 16 .
The most expensive parts of a quinceañera
As you start planning your quinces, sweet 16 party, you can expect to spend 10 percent or more of your budget on each of the following items:
- Food and beverage service is typically the most expensive item on your quinceañera checklist, accounting for approximately one-third of your overall budget.
- The venue fee may account for around 10 percent of your budget. Be sure to ask the venue coordinator about what’s included, such as décor, parking, and tables and chairs.
- Whether you choose to hire a live band, a DJ, or another form of entertainment, expect to spend at least 10 percent of your budget on this aspect of your party budget.
- Photographer and videographer. Capturing this milestone event is crucial, so many families hire a professional photographer and/or videographer. While this is a great way to preserve memories that your daughter will cherish forever, it comes at a cost—approximately 10 percent of your total budget.
Expect to spend 5-10 percent of your budget on these items
Other important—and pricey—elements of a quinceañera / sweet16 celebration include the following, on which you might expect to spend between five and ten percent of your budget:
- Just as wedding dresses are particularly special for brides, the dress that a girl wears for her quinceañera / sweet16 is a key part of the celebration. Dresses often cost between $1200 and UP, and you’ll also need to save room in your budget for alterations, shoes, jewelry, and accessories. However, to save money, consider renting a dress or buying one used.
- Flowers and decorations. To create a festive ambience, your quince party will need table centerpieces, floral arrangements, and other decorations.
These items may each represent five percent or less of your budget:
- The ceremony. Since most quinces include a religious ceremony, you may need to pay for a church fee and related items, such as a special Bible, rosary, and necklace or ring.
- In addition to invitations, you’ll probably want to budget for place cards, menus, and thank you cards.
- The cake for a quince party is typically separate from the catering budget, so plan to spend about two percent of your overall budget on this sweet centerpiece.
- Hair, makeup, and nails. To help your daughter truly feel like a princess, you may want to have her hair, makeup, and nails done professionally—which may cost 2-3 percent of your budget.
- Party favors. As an expression of gratitude for your guests, you may want to devote a small amount of your budget to gifts and party favors.
- Unexpected costs. As with any other event, there’s always the possibility that unexpected expenses will come up. Be sure to leave room in your budget for gratuities, taxes, and other costs.
One of the best things about open air spaces for weddings is that they require fewer decorative details. Whether a backyard, a beach, a mountain, a meadow or somewhere else, let the natural beauty of your environment shine and keep decorations simple. Flowers and lighting are two components that really make any outdoor venue pop.
The most critical aspect of planning an outdoor quinceanera / sweet16 is to create a thoughtful contingency plan in the event of bad weather. Inclement weather is beyond your control, but a backup plan is within your control. Most outdoor environments recommend renting a tent with sidewalls. It’s our recommendation to reserve one in advance, and then once the weather becomes more apparent closer to the day of your event, make the call whether you’ll need to use it or not.
Getting a Planner
All events are best served by a professional planner whose sole job is to make your day shine. Outdoor weddings in particular will benefit from their expertise. Since all elements of the party, from the ceremony to cocktail hour, dinner to the dancing party, occur outside, it’s great to have a professional onsite to manage flow and direct vendors.
Families opting for outdoor events should have a firm understanding of their budget. There are many small items that quickly add up and it can be a budget-escalating endeavor to undertake.
Don’t Forget Restrooms
Making sure that clean, accessible bathrooms are nearby is essential for the comfort of your guests. These days, there are a wide variety of rental companies that cater to this very niche.
The quickest way to set a nice mood is with soft lighting. Depending upon your location, you may need to bring in infrastructure and generators to do that. When walking through your venue, take stock of the pathways and figure out directional lighting to help steer your guests to where you need them to go.
Planning a quince años party in New York can be very difficult if you don’t know where to start. But don’t worry! We are here to help you with everything! Our quinceanera checklist helps you and your mom put everything together for the perfect 15th! We make it easy to find the right quinceanera dresses in Austin, party halls, 15 photographers, invitations, limos, and more!